At 21,
I was born a son,
And on that day I knew,
I could kill.
To protect the ones,
We put bullets in guns,
Or anything it takes,
To take a life.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1168509/U2-body-like-Bono-lets-moobs-hang-sea-tranquility.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/19/opinion/19bono.html?_r=2&hpw
Published: April 18, 2009
I AM in Midtown Manhattan, where drivers still play their car horns as if they were musical instruments and shouting in restaurants is sport.

»I am a long way from the warm breeze of voices I heard a week ago on Easter Sunday.

“Glorify your name,” the island women sang, as they swayed in a cut sandstone church. I was overwhelmed by a riot of color, an emotional swell that carried me to sea.

Christianity, it turns out, has a rhythm — and it crescendos this time of year. The rumba of Carnival gives way to the slow march of Lent, then to the staccato hymnals of the Easter parade. From revelry to reverie. After 40 days in the desert, sort of ...

Carnival — rock stars are good at that.

“Carne” is flesh; “Carne-val,” its goodbye party. I’ve been to many. Brazilians say they’ve done it longest; they certainly do it best. You can’t help but contract the fever. You’ve got no choice but to join the ravers as they swell up the streets bursting like the banks of a river in a flood of fun set to rhythm. This is a Joy that cannot be conjured. This is life force. This is the heart full and spilling over with gratitude. The choice is yours ...

It’s Lent I’ve always had issues with. I gave it up ... self-denial is where I come a cropper. My idea of discipline is simple — hard work — but of course that’s another indulgence.

Then comes the dying and the living that is Easter.

It’s a transcendent moment for me — a rebirth I always seem to need. Never more so than a few years ago, when my father died. I recall the embarrassment and relief of hot tears as I knelt in a chapel in a village in France and repented my prodigal nature — repented for fighting my father for so many years and wasting so many opportunities to know him better. I remember the feeling of “a peace that passes understanding” as a load lifted. Of all the Christian festivals, it is the Easter parade that demands the most faith — pushing you past reverence for creation, through bewilderment at the idea of a virgin birth, and into the far-fetched and far-reaching idea that death is not the end. The cross as crossroads. Whatever your religious or nonreligious views, the chance to begin again is a compelling idea.

Last Sunday, the choirmaster was jumping out of his skin ... stormy then still, playful then tender, on the most upright of pianos and melodies. He sang his invocations in a beautiful oaken tenor with a freckle-faced boy at his side playing conga and tambourine as if it was a full drum kit. The parish sang to the rafters songs of praise to a God that apparently surrendered His voice to ours.

I come to lowly church halls and lofty cathedrals for what purpose? I search the Scriptures to what end? To check my head? My heart? No, my soul. For me these meditations are like a plumb line dropped by a master builder — to see if the walls are straight or crooked. I check my emotional life with music, my intellectual life with writing, but religion is where I soul-search.

The preacher said, “What good does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses his soul?” Hearing this, every one of the pilgrims gathered in the room asked, “Is it me, Lord?” In America, in Europe, people are asking, “Is it us?”

Well, yes. It is us.

Carnival is over. Commerce has been overheating markets and climates ... the sooty skies of the industrial revolution have changed scale and location, but now melt ice caps and make the seas boil in the time of technological revolution. Capitalism is on trial; globalization is, once again, in the dock. We used to say that all we wanted for the rest of the world was what we had for ourselves. Then we found out that if every living soul on the planet had a fridge and a house and an S.U.V., we would choke on our own exhaust.

Lent is upon us whether we asked for it or not. And with it, we hope, comes a chance at redemption. But redemption is not just a spiritual term, it’s an economic concept. At the turn of the millennium, the debt cancellation campaign, inspired by the Jewish concept of Jubilee, aimed to give the poorest countries a fresh start. Thirty-four million more children in Africa are now in school in large part because their governments used money freed up by debt relief. This redemption was not an end to economic slavery, but it was a more hopeful beginning for many. And to the many, not the lucky few, is surely where any soul-searching must lead us.

A few weeks ago I was in Washington when news arrived of proposed cuts to the president’s aid budget. People said that it was going to be hard to fulfill promises to those who live in dire circumstances such a long way away when there is so much hardship in the United States. And there is.

But I read recently that Americans are taking up public service in greater numbers because they are short on money to give. And, following a successful bipartisan Senate vote, word is that Congress will restore the money that had been cut from the aid budget — a refusal to abandon those who would pay such a high price for a crisis not of their making. In the roughest of times, people show who they are.

Your soul.

So much of the discussion today is about value, not values. Aid well spent can be an example of both, values and value for money. Providing AIDS medication to just under four million people, putting in place modest measures to improve maternal health, eradicating killer pests like malaria and rotoviruses — all these provide a leg up on the climb to self-sufficiency, all these can help us make friends in a world quick to enmity. It’s not alms, it’s investment. It’s not charity, it’s justice.

Strangely, as we file out of the small stone church into the cruel sun, I think of Warren Buffett and Bill Gates, whose now combined fortune is dedicated to the fight against extreme poverty. Agnostics both, I believe. I think of Nelson Mandela, who has spent his life upholding the rights of others. A spiritual man — no doubt. Religious? I’m told he would not describe himself that way.

Not all soul music comes from the church.

Bono, the lead singer of the band U2 and a co-founder of the advocacy group ONE, is a contributing columnist for The Times.

Next Article in Opinion (4 of 31) » A version of this article appeared
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
http://ronankeating-france.blogspot.fr/
scheherazed
Langue Pendue
Langue Pendue

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: U2    Dim 19 Avr - 9:01

merci pour toutes ces news Annie :flower: :flower: :hug:
nanie
Langue Pendue
Langue Pendue

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: U2    Dim 19 Avr - 18:32

merci bcp annie

nanie
@nnie
Modératrice
Modératrice

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: U2    Jeu 23 Avr - 16:22

face B du prochain single MAGNIFICIENT

You've never heard Get On Your Boots like this.
The last single has got the club treatment by Parisian remix duo Justice and it's set to be made available with the new single, Magnificent

nanie
Langue Pendue
Langue Pendue

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: U2    Jeu 23 Avr - 17:42

merci bcp

nanie
@nnie
Modératrice
Modératrice

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: U2    Mer 29 Avr - 6:01

Until the philosophy which hold one race is superior than another
Inferior, yes finally, and permanent, discredited, and abandoned
Or everywhere is war
Say war
Congo sees war

Until there are no more first class,
second class citizens
of any nations
Until the color of man skin
is of no more significance than the color of his eyes
Everywhere is war
War
Everywhere is war
Gimme the brother
war
Destroy the country
War
Or nothing

We don’t need no more war
Some winning, some losing, some dying, some crying, some sick
We don’t need no more trouble
We don’t need no more

we don’t need no more trouble
What we need is love
To guide us and protect us all
If you hope to come from above

Do you get to stop the war
Hmm hemmm

nanie
Langue Pendue
Langue Pendue

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: U2    Mer 29 Avr - 7:22

merci

nanie
@nnie
Modératrice
Modératrice

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: U2    Mer 6 Mai - 11:42

nanie
Langue Pendue
Langue Pendue

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: U2    Mer 6 Mai - 13:11

merci

nanie
nanie
Langue Pendue
Langue Pendue

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: U2    Mer 13 Mai - 6:14

@nnie
Modératrice
Modératrice

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: U2    Sam 30 Mai - 10:04

Shepherds Bush Empire London with Yusuf Islam/Cat Stevens headlining. They turned up as a surprise act first joining in with Baaba Maal as they covered "One"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13455267@N06/sets/72157618899592645/

U2 'Magnificent' :flower: and Interview on The Late Late Show 29th May 2009

Dernière édition par @nnie le Sam 30 Mai - 11:15, édité 1 fois
scheherazed
Langue Pendue
Langue Pendue

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: U2    Sam 30 Mai - 10:35

merci Annie and Nanie :hug: :flower: :flower:
nanie
Langue Pendue
Langue Pendue

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: U2    Sam 30 Mai - 18:23

merci

nanie
@nnie
Modératrice
Modératrice

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: U2    Sam 30 Mai - 21:42

30 May 2009
The band were guests of Pat Kenny last night, his final night presenting The Late Late Show. As well as playing Magnificent and presenting Pat with some leaving gifts, they also had a revealing conversation which touched on the upcoming tour production, how they once nearly parted company with Paul McGuinness, what it's like to bring a tour home to Ireland and how U2 is a 'family business' built on disagreement.

Here's a few choice highlights - you can watch the extended interview (when we last looked) here

The guitar they presented to Pat
'It's a guitar made by Gibson. There's only 300 of them in the world and it's in aid of a charity that I co-founded for New Orleans, for the musicians of New Orleans. So it's very rare.' (Edge)

The New Show
'For a long time we said to people within our production team we love it when we have people all around us, which we do sometimes indoors, but we never had it outdoors. Can you help us figure it out?' (Edge)

'People used to say that outside of Ireland the best place to see U2 was Madison Square Gardens and that's where you play in the round up at one end and our audience say that's the best seats... and it feels like you're on stage sort of thing. And so we wanted to see could we apply this outdoors. Of course how do you hang the gear from the sky so to speak? So the engineering is to allow us to do that." (Bono)

'We haven't seen it yet but we've seen some footage of it as it's been built in Belgium and I have to say I looked at it today and thought, 'Oh my God we've actually designed the Eiffel Tower!' It's this huge thing. It's pretty amazing.' (Edge)
Almost Parting Company with Paul McGuinness
'... there's a story... that we've never told, but there was a serious disagreement early on about his ability to get us a van. And there were negotiations and deals over getting us a van and he said he could get us a van, but maybe we weren't good enough and this kind of thing. So we met in Captain America's and we had a pow wow with the band where we discussed firing him. And we went through the ups and downs of it all and we were there for about an hour and this fella just walked up from the next table and he said look I'm really sorry to say this but I couldn't help but overhearing what you were talking about and I actually know the person you were talking about. And I had that sinking feeling, and he said this is a really, really big mistake. This is exactly the right manager for U2. You should really work it out because this is a great great guy. And I said, 'Who are you?' And he said, 'My name is Louis Walsh.' (Bono)

Playing Croke Park
'Expectations are always high, particularly in your homeland, but you know that's what we do. We fly the flag wherever we can. And nowhere prouder than in our homeland. So you take the pressure on, understanding that your family and your friends are expecting great things. They hear about all the stuff you do around the world and they want you to come home and show that you can do it for them as well.' (Larry)

Bigging Up Ireland
'Larry was saying just a few days ago...I thought it was smart... that we have to, wherever we go, whether it's Barcelona, whether it's Chicago, just tell people about this little gem, this little jewel on the north Atlantic and how extraordinary its people are and how innovative and how smart they are and they'll get their way out of this mess. We're just going to tell them that nightly.' (Bono)

Getting On
'It's like a family business. I mean it's like being in business with your four brothers. So we're four brothers and it gets rough. As Adam has explained there's matters of personal hygiene.' (Bono)

'I think bar the odd gust of wind, hygiene in cramped small places is very important. We?re used to being in small little vans and travelling around the country.' (Adam)

'And then there was the lemon. That was a very cramped place.' (Edge)

Co-Dependence
' Just having the loudest voice and the most persuasive tone does not mean it's the best idea, sadly. And that's why we're a band. We very much depend on each other and what we've learned to do is... the individual egos are sort of subservient to a band ego which is pretty big. But that's the way it works, so if the idea is a great idea we soon forget who had it or where it came from, and I would say all four of us win the day on different things.'

The Politics
'I think U2 was always interested in politics. I think that's where we came from. In 1976 Dublin was a very different place than it is now. It was in a recession... and when we heard punk music that was an opportunity for us to do something, to get involved and to be part of a thought process that was about changing your world and changing the ideas in your world and that is something we've carried through over the last 30 years. And Bono's activism is something that we all support and we all stand behind him. We might be in the studio finishing a record and he's off doing something else but it's something that he does very much on our behalf as much as his own.' (Adam)

The Disagreements
'U2 is built on disagreement. I mean, it's always been like that and it is a democracy, to an extent and you know, you have to be allowed express your views. And I have to. It's my duty to.' (Larry)

Dernière édition par @nnie le Dim 31 Mai - 10:40, édité 1 fois
nanie
Langue Pendue
Langue Pendue

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: U2    Dim 31 Mai - 8:45

merci bcp annie :hug:

nanie
@nnie
Modératrice
Modératrice

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: U2    Dim 31 Mai - 8:56

Construction en BELGIQUE du " THE CLAW" la future scéne de U2

nanie
Langue Pendue
Langue Pendue

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: U2    Dim 31 Mai - 17:48

merci

nanie
@nnie
Modératrice
Modératrice

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: U2    Ven 5 Juin - 13:59

5 June

http://www.u2.com/stream/article/display/title/a-day-in-the-life-of-edge#

DAY IN THE LIFE OF THE EDGE :lol!:
He didn't really want to be woken up at all, but one day on the last tour Bono arrived in Edge's hotel room at the crack of dawn, camera on his shoulder, ready to shoot 'A Day In The Life of Edge' for Current TV
don't want to be on the news, ' protests Edge, trying to hide under his pillow. 'You want to be on the news.' But Bono will not be dissuaded and spends the day trailing the guitarist from wake-up call to showtime, from beach to rigorous personal fitness regime. (Don't miss The Blackberry Yoga, devised, as Edge explains, in Wales. 'I like to exercise once or twice... every four to eight weeks.'
scheherazed
Langue Pendue
Langue Pendue

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: U2    Ven 5 Juin - 15:43

DAY IN THE LIFE OF THE EDGE :lol!: :lol!:
merci Annie Wink
nanie
Langue Pendue
Langue Pendue

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: U2    Ven 5 Juin - 18:59

merci

nanie
@nnie
Modératrice
Modératrice

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: U2    Mer 10 Juin - 18:13

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/u2-have-found-what-theyre-looking-for-in-france-1766814.html

U2 have found what they're looking for... in France

Tuesday June 09 2009

U2 will be sunning themselves in the South of France this summer, as they make it their base for their upcoming European tour.

The band and their families have holiday homes on the Cote D'Azur and will have a private plane at Nice Airport to jet them to gigs in Barcelona, Milan, Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam and London as their U2360 Tour kicks-off on June 30.

Claw

Their huge new stage, which has been nicknamed The Claw, is already constructed in the Camp Nou stadium in Barcelona, and rehearsals are due to get under way in the coming days.

"Nice Airport will be the hub," said a source.

"They will fly in and out from there for each of the concerts and will be able to spend their down time with their families at their holiday homes as usual."

Bono and The Edge have been frequent visitors to Eze Sur Mer for nearly 20 years, with Edge buying the villa next door to Bono's after his first marriage broke up.

The two properties are only separated by their swimming pools, but Edge said the only reason he bought the villa was "timing".

"Possessions are a way of turning money into problems," he said.

"I don't have a big car collection or anything that I'd miss if it got stolen.

"I bought the house because it was about timing."

The Edge married his second wife, long-term partner Morleigh Steinberg, in the nearby village of Eze seven years ago.

U2's other members Larry Mullen Jnr and Adam Clayton also own holiday homes nearby.

And the South of France also proved too much to resist for band manager Paul McGuinness, who bought a nearby villa in 2002 after attending The Edge's wedding.

Tight

The fact that all the band have holiday homes so close together has caused Larry Mullen to comment before on how the group never seem to be able to escape from each other.

"What kind of band goes on holidays to the same place?" he said.

"We are a tight family, with all the pluses and disadvantages of that."
nanie
Langue Pendue
Langue Pendue

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: U2    Jeu 11 Juin - 4:25

merciiiiiiiii

nanie
scheherazed
Langue Pendue
Langue Pendue

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: U2    Ven 12 Juin - 13:52

Si tu veux c pics tu me le dis

Dernière édition par scheherazed le Mer 24 Oct - 9:49, édité 1 fois
scheherazed
Langue Pendue
Langue Pendue

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: U2    Ven 12 Juin - 13:57

Dernière édition par scheherazed le Mer 24 Oct - 9:52, édité 1 fois
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: U2    

U2
Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut 
Page 5 sur 19Aller à la page : Précédent  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 19  Suivant